On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Marc Balmer wrote:
> * Chris Babcock wrote:
> > Can those LVC units be used for as a GPS reference time source for NTP?
> Yes.  They output NMEA sentences, are fully (and easily) configurable
> and provide a PPS signal (which has to be turned on by sending the
> unit some commands).

I have one doing that very job with a 5501.  I use the $GPRMC sentence and
turned of the rest.  ISTR that was the sentnece recommended by the ntp.org
s/w.

If you'd rather not mess around with getting power from pin 10, and aren't
otherwise using your USB connector, it is a +5V source, with enough
hampsters for the LVC, at least with no internal HDD.  Cutting up a spare
USB cable is probably the easiest way to get connected there.  This also
lets you use a standard 2x5 to DE-9 cable for COM2:.  Of course if you're
putting a 2x5 header on the LVC cable anyway, never mind.

If you haven't purchased the GPS 18 LVC yet, I seem to recall you could
get it with two different length cables.  I have 5m and I think the other
option was 3m.

-Jed