Yakout Esmat wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> We build and distribute Asterisk-based PBXes, I guess like many
> others. What we are looking for is to standardize our hardware
> platform, which makes backup/restore, replacement etc....much easier
> than using normal PC/Server hardware.
>

> My questions:
>

> 1-      Can we install standard CentOS 5.x on the Soekris 5501?

No. CentOS 5 assumes a processor class (686) that isn't available. It is
theoretically possible to rebuild 5 for the 586, but difficult. CentOS 4
works, although one of the last CentOS 4 releases was accidentally built
for 686-only, so you might need to go back a rev if they haven't fixed that.

> 2-      Can we boot from an external USB DVD just like we can with a
> standard PC?

No. CF, disk, or network.

> 3-      Is there any intention to build boards with faster CPU, like
> 1Ghz for example?

This is a user/developer list, not the maker of the devices.

Matthew Kaufman