Rhel-5 has been run on the 5501. At some point it required that the
kernel rpm by recompiled  or that the powernow_k8 module be blacklisted
in orderto to preclude a geode specific oops, don't know if that was
still the case.

Regarding installation to a cf card it's pretty trivial to create a
system eqivalent to a 5501 in vmware (remeber the ide vs scsi disk)
build and modify to your hearts content and then simply dd the system on
to an appropiately sized cf card... There are other ways, redhat can
been network booted and installed etc.

joel