Philip,

   I run my 4801 and LinkSys wrt54gs directly off a battery string. The
last two
winters have been tough on my system. The bat voltage has go down to
10VDC and they all turn off until the sun came out. All survived except one
2 volt cell. The 4801 needed to be replugged before it started again.

   Nick is right about getting the battery too low, it will destroy
them. Use the
deep cycle ones.

   The only other problem I had wad the file system got corrupted on
the hard drive.

   I am very satisfied with my Soekris experience.

   However a 4801 in not a 5501!  Just the same company.

--
William Estrada
Mt Umunhum, CA, USA