Hi Soren,

On 11/10/10 14:10, Soren Kristensen wrote:
> A couple of question/suggestions:
>
> 1) Does it crash without wifi activity ?

Yes it does. I've had it crash in the middle of the night, when all of
the laptops in the house were powered off.

Happened only once though. And when it crashes it's usually during heavy
network traffic; wired or wireless.

Oh and BTW: my main server happens to have nearly the same NIC (yeah I
know: a "main server" whose network interface is only 100 Mbit/s :-) and
it doesn't crash like this. It's a Via VT6102 Rhine-II instead of the
VT6105M Rhine-III that's in the 5501. Runs exactly the same OS, and it
is the very same driver that is used for both parts.

> 2) If so, have you tried without any wifi drivers loaded but the
> hardware still in ?

No I haven't tried that yet. Will do so and report back.

> The ultimate test to figure out if it's software or hardware is to try
> with a completely different operating system....

True. I can try that as well.

Would be a shame though: I run the same version of Ubuntu on all the
machinery here, which is great from a admin perspective.

Thanks for your reponse Soren.

Jan