All,

On 11/10/10 14:10, Soren Kristensen wrote:
> Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> I have similar problems with my 5501 crashing very frequently. I've
>> tried two separate power supplies without effect.
>>
>> Some questions to everyone out there:
(...)
>> - One data point: when my machine crashes there is no backtrace. So it's
>> a hard lock-up.
>
> A couple of question/suggestions:
>
> 1) Does it crash without wifi activity ?

I responded recently that it does, but very infrequently.

> 2) If so, have you tried without any wifi drivers loaded but the
> hardware still in ?

I have now tried that for some time. No crashes at all.

> The ultimate test to figure out if it's software or hardware is to try
> with a completely different operating system....

I've not tried that yet, but read on.

>> - When I remove the mini-PCI wifi card the machine becomes rock-solid.
>> I've tried with two different wifi cards, one needing the ath5k driver,
>> the other needing ath9k. Those are the only card types I have, but the
>> machine crashes with either. So this leads me to the following questions:
>>
>> - Could this be an EMI problem? Would it make sense for me to rig up
>> some shielding between the mini-PCI card and the two Ethernet
>> controllers that sit immediately underneath?
>
> Doubt it....
>
>> - Could this be a decoupling issue? Does anyone have suggestions as to
>> capacitors to add or change?
>
> Doubt that too, the 3.3V power supply have plenty of extra power, at
> least 3A, the the main 1000uF low ESR capacitor sits just behind the
> Mini-PCI slot....

Well I've tried something else, namely to use eth2 and eth3 for my
traffic instead of eth0 and eth1. This has now been working without
crashes for a week, whereas previously it would crash at least once
every 2 days, and sometimes as frequently as once an hour.

Still not conclusive until it works without crashing for a couple of
weeks, but strange nonetheless.

Jan