On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 16:04 +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:
> So for a start, compare the GPL and the BSD/ISC/MIT licenses, and you
> will spot differences.
Howdy,
  I have read these license and there are big differences.  I do try BSD
and usually have a BSD machine of some sort running.  I have run
FreeBSD, PC-BSD(really FreeBSD), OpenBSD and DragonFly.  OK, DragonFly
never fully ran, but I tried and will try it again.  pf under FreeBSD is
so much easier to understand than iptables and that is one appeal.  I
help run a Linux/Unix install project locally and I want to be able to
answer questions about BSD and that is another reason.  But, the GPL is
such a strong incentive to stay primarily with Linux that I will
probably move my main computers to BSD only if Microsoft finally finds
some way to kill Linux.  The GPL fosters an open ecosystem and the BSD
licenses are better than nothing, but don't go far enough.  I will avoid
how I normally describe the BSD license because I don't want people to
think I am flaming BSD people.
Good day,
Ralph