On 2012-04-30 12:20, Philip wrote:

> The problem is that the freebsd install isn't well patched because I
> just can't get along with the package management as well as debian apt.

Can you be more specific as to what problems you have with FreeBSD
package management - maybe we could help you ? an example would be fine.

I agree that the current FreeBSD package management lacks features
and/or works differently than you'd expect when used to the linux ones.

But until the "pkgng" package management is ready I've found a simple
workaround that in my opinion makes the current FreeBSD package
management usable.

0) become root

1) Add the the "bsdadminscripts" package to your insstallation:

pkg_add -r bsdadminscripts

2) make sure that you have a /usr/ports directory:

mkdir -p /usr/ports

3) run "pkg_upgrade -a" to refresh all you currrently installed packages
to the latest versions.

4) run "pkg_upgrade some_pkg_name" to refresh just the one package and
its dependencies.

HINT: -n option is a dry-run flag - shows what would have been done if
command was issued without the -n option

HINT: -v option is a verbose flag - shows more detailed output.

Hope that helps.

/Uffe