On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

> I don't know whether it affects the Soekris-supplied Transcend devices,
> but some SSDs do not like unexpected power cycles. The sandforce-based
> crucial msata in my laptop even keeps a count of these (I can see them
> with smartctl -a).

Even if you gracefully shutdown your OS, you always end up with some
sort of power lost on your drive.  The idea is to stop writing on disk
before doing so.  I use a read only file system, so should not be an
issue (I think).  Anyway, following that taught I have done some more
testing even if I really doubt that it is the issue.

To be sure that it was not related to power cycling, I did test again
without power cycling.  I just use the reset button with exact same
result.

As for the openbsd issue, please note that on my case it stop before
think it is related.  My test was, not booting full system.  As soon
as I get Grub menu I did a reset.  Success was getting grub menu, fail
was when Grub fail to show Grub menu.

Soren do you have any idea ?

Regards,