On Apr 25, 2014, at 9:28 PM, David Ruggiero <thatseattle...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> the ALT-Q code has some real performance issues....
>
> Chris, do you expect that the ALT-Q rewrite coming in OpenBSD 5.5 will
> significantly improve queue and bandwidth management performance? Or
> is it just window dressing? Would love to know if the pain of an
> upgrade (I'm on 5.3 IIRC) will be worth it. I do use ALT-Q
> extensively.

If I remember right, I heard that they were reworking the code in the BSDTalk
podcast at the same time as I heard about the pf performance upgrades. It's
worth tracking down and listening to the podcast to get more information. If I
were that interested I might even dash out a quick email to the person working
on the code for an update. For me the limitation isn't a problem because with
Alt-Q OpenBSD can still exceed my available bandwidth. That said I do plan to
upgrade to 5.5 but it's more about getting my OpenBSD stuff under puppet
configuration management.

-- Chris