I’m certain the answer is “it depends.”  Do you have ANY idea where the
bottleneck is?  The hardware is capable of much more than that.  What does
systat or top say?  Maxed out CPU?  Heavy interrupt rate?  How many packets per
second?  Can you turn off flow-control at your switch?

The ethernet chipset was supported by 4.6, so I don’t think updating from 5.1
to 5.5 will benefit you in terms of hardware speed.  pf continues to improve
with each version … but the real fishy smelling piece is the cap right at
100Mb.  That sounds like a hardware / negotiation / switch issue.

        ED.