Rob I feel your pain, I have been driven towards Houdini for much the same
reason, their robust volumes are really enviable.

There is hope for some relief from third party solutions, at present
emfluid 4 and the BA fluid shader can get you pretty far, but it's still a
far cry from houdini's capabilities and sheer rapidity of use. (I think a
lot of that comes from the quick conversion from geometry to volume via
SDFs, the amazingly nice viewport feedback, and the simple fact that the
volume shaders in houdini are pre-set such that you don't have to spend
hour after hour tweaking and rendering over and over to get dialed in.)

An interesting thing is that when I priced out third party solutions to
equip 4 artists with all the third party tools we would need, the cost (not
including the price of the initial soft licenses) came out to be less than
the cost of a single seat of Houdini. So an external/third party solution
for volumes would make a lot of sense.

In the short term though houdini/xsi corrdination should be workable, thats
kind of the standard scenario for Houdini after all, where it is used in
conjunction with other software... definitely take a close look at Alembic
which seems fantastic, too. And please let us know what you discover in
your explorations! :)