Hey guys,

I´m looking forward to the benefits of getting Softimage
knowledge injected into Maya and hope for a significant
boost in Maya´s particle engine, it´s performance, it´s
GUI and the general approach to accessing and manipulating data.

I would think that the node based ICE approach is something
that fits very well in to capsule Duncan Brinsmead´s love for
N-parameters and might ultimately even lead to a better or
even stripped down use of selected parameters, depending
on the task. Smaller building blocks sounds like faster.

The other area I hope to see improved is the display&render engine.

Ideally, we end up don´t needing a Viewport 2.01 but find
ourselves using a wysiwyg approach instead of abstract approximations
(unless decidedly abstracted, like seeing just the reflection only).

Personally, I believe that V-Ray RT or Arnold should replace mentalray
and volume fx like smoke or fire or clouds should display the way they
will render, particles in general should not need to be set up twice,
first to animate nicely, then to get them to look nicely in the viewport
and the render...

In terms of software usage, I think I started 1997/8 using Lightwave,
then 3DS Max 1.2, then Sofimage 3|D 3.8, then switched to Maya, then
added Softimage XSI Foundation, now am lighting&shading in V-Ray//3DS Max
again (because I want to work in features//Berlin) and would actually
like to find the time to take my ZBrush/Mudbox skills to a sculpter´s level,
which is difficult because there´s also Nuke, Photoshop and AE to keep up
with. And it´s not even friday... so give me easily accessible tools, please.

Cheers,

tim

Did I mention that Houdini and Motionbuilder would deserve my attention, too?