While developing my latest renamer in PyQt with the PyQtForSoftimage addon
it became apparent that I needed to type cast my strings otherwise they
come through as the QString instances. In Maya you can set how it
translates them by setting a few variables in the header using sip. Can't
remember them off the top of my head. As I posted in the past, you have to
do this before anything imports the sip modules otherwise its set
automatically. Hacking the PyQtForSoftimage plugin makes this possible if I
remember correctly.

Not sure if this relates to what you're having issues with Tony.

Eric Thivierge
http://www.ethivierge.com