From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] on behalf of Schoenberger
[x...@digidragon.de]
Sent: 31 October 2012 12:17
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: BA Fluid Shader

Hi Everyone

Some of you started to post some links to fluid/volume examples in my forum
thread, many thanks. I got more replies than in the whole year the shader
exists.

@Sandy: I can certainly dig some Zambezia frames out if you would like some?
Of course. :-) Or I will check the trailer. Or you can simply tell me some
shots so I can find them when I view the movie.

@Peter:
 |> Just a suggestion – how about forcing some goodwill, by offering the tools
with a temp license –
 |> and the possibility to convert into a permanent license only after
reception of a feedback mail with
 |> included image?
Could be working.

@Olivier:
 |> In some case, a user (ahem, me...), urgely needs to download some of your
BAshaders for some work
 |> he has to deliver the day after (typicaly the clients needs to see a cloud
or some emfluid smoke, etc.)
 |>  If I have to wait some kind of authorizations or "friend" invitation, it's
awfull, I'm already dead.
 |> So, couldn't there be some (symbolic) quick paying access ? I mean, I have
no friends, I'm in a hurry, and I can pay ...
But if you "urgently" want to buy it, then you know the shader already, what it
is capable of.
You know productions which have used them. Perhaps you are a freelancer who has
worked with the shader before.
You would not buy anything you don't know. If you wouldn't know anything about
the shader, you would ask for a trial.
And if you were a new customer, you wouldn't see anything as there are no
production examples.
Note: License generation is not an automated web form anyway, so "I need the
shader in an hour" is not possible anyway.
But I understand you and in in some cases you are right, perhaps I could create
an automated trial license generator for a 2 day license.

@Daniel:
 |> Let me also say, Im sure if you put a Donate button up on your site, I
would hope alot of people would stick
 |> donations your way for your hard work. i for one would.
If they do not even have 10 minutes for sending an email with some information,
why would I think that someone would pay which is worth a lot of hours of paid
work? And what about companies with many employees? The Artists/Freelancer in
the company downloads it. Then he tries and uses it. And perhaps he reminds
himself about informing the supervisor, producer, accounting.
And most of all, I need feedback, I need examples to improve and finish the
shader. Once it is completed, then I can just close the package and sell it.

And a word about NDA work:
There are news outside on which project your company is working. And if not, I
can check half a year later.
An example when I started on the volume shaders: I only got "I am creating a
shot with a very long stream of fire falling down".
And I was able to track the shot to a spaceship falling down in Alien vs.
Predator (release 2004).
So I got everything:
1. Country/Company the shader is used.
2. What kind of production (feature/ commercial/ animation/ games)
3. What kind of shots are produced (fire, smoke, explosion, ...)
4. The final shot.

About a commercial release:
It was planed to create a new bunch of shaders for volumes and then sell them
as a package.
Right now there are not enough shaders for this package.
But it would be possible to implement licensing.  It would be a per artist
license. Rendering for free.
So you could order the package although it does not yet include all shaders.
The price would be less than 1000 EURO.
But still, this would require that I have enough examples to sell the shader.
It has to be production proven.

cheers,
Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night