this is a good example. combined with a few other good reasons i would
probably implement an event, but if this were the only good reason i would
still avoid doing it with an event. as i said in my email to david, if
performance were to be an issue, i would highlight the controls in the gui
once the cursor enters the application.

there are a few things in softimage that make me paranoid and selection
events is one of them. i remember a plugin that was installed at blur a
long time ago that did an on selection change script that was the culprit
for some serious lag for the animators.

i also imagine one might want to keep open multiple character guis and i
can see this getting out of hand. but its still worth some investigation.