Thanks, sounds good! A default scene takes care of everything except
default shader definitions.

Can't get it to work though, I'm using the example in that article to try
and change the architectural shader, but using the examples and looking
through the SDK I can't figure out how to actually set the values, which
method or syntax should I use?

    if "Softimage.mia_material_phen.1.0" in sProgID:
        oDef.InputParamDefs.GetParamDefByName( "reflectivity" ) --> ???