On second thought, here's a variation of that idea:

On LMB pressed, place the selected light to create a highlight. On MMB pressed
(or LMB + modifier key)
copy the selected light and use the copy to place the new highlight.

This way, you will never need to query the user for what type of new light he
wants to create for the highlight(e.g. you won't need any custom preference or
pick session). What needs to be palced or created and then placed is alwas
defined by the selection. Some heuristic will still be needed I think, like:
Was even a light selected or something else? Was the Light, or its target, or
its root selected? Were several lights selected? And what if? Copy and place
them all, maintaining their spacial relationship, or just use the first one?.
Just some thoughts.