A few years ago Guillaume posted a similar method. This was hosted at vol2nuit, but the site no longer exist. Basicly he was building his HDR image within the fxtree using gradients and fills, and there was an immediate update/feedback in the render region.

Last time I tried this, it was working ok, but had troubles having the fxtree generated picture work in 32 or 16 bits. I mean, although I know it was supposed to work in hdr range, there was no way I could crush the whites.
But probably I missed something.