Maya has the command port that is always running which you can send calls
to. In Softimage you'd have to roll your own via a port, event loop, and a
few threads which has been discussed many times previously, to receive the
calls. Then you'd have to have some sort of handler to interpret the info
sent to the port.

A bit more involved than just what is in the article.