Maxwell is amazing, the quality of light is impressive, thanks a lot for those
tests Mihai

From: Mihai Iliuta
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:05 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Octane render

Hi there,

Hopefully this will be in the right thread....here are some classroom tests
with Maxwell Render.

Ronald, I just took your scene and applied Maxwell materials trying to match
the look from your tests and for the lighting I just used Skydome.

My machine is an i7 2600K @ 3.4GhZ, and according to our benchwell test
(www.maxwellrender.com/benchwell) your machine should run it in about 10 min,
mine took 14min, so 40% slower.

Time 15min:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uw6akqot5yun4d/15min.jpg

45 min:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/110ec8qwea2dl39/45min.jpg

2h:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3ty0h696nxwbuh/2h.jpg

7h:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqdclhiwj36a9b6/7h.jpg

The last one was to try and match your 45min Octane render, although some areas
looked cleaner sooner (DOF areas especially). It's true that it takes a much
longer time to get a super clean image, but usually a small amount of denoise
is enough instead of waiting...

So to compare

the 7h render would take about 5 hours on your machine.
the 2h render matches in noise your Arnold 1.33min render and would take about
1h20min on your machine.

For the 7h render I turned up the intensity of the ceiling lights using
Multilight to match your render (but they would never look that strong in
reality if you expose for daylight, unless you want the electric company to
come arrest you...).

Quality wise, perhaps in my not so unbiased opinion, there is more life in the
Maxwell render, mainly due to not limiting bounces. I don't understand what the
point is to have only 2-3 bounces of GI because it starts looking dead and like
an AO pass - greyness everywhere. Look especially in the chrome material,
radiator area, in between the wood boards on the desk. All these things add up
in my opinion and other tests will show it better. I prefer to know I'll get a
render that looks and feel like a photo, not a render that looks like yet
another....render.

Also most of our users will take up 2GB of RAM just for loading their textures,
no matter the resolution of the render and many want to render at at least A4
print size which is about 3500px wide at 300dpi.

Finally, maybe we should maybe do a test with thousands of particles, hair,
DOF, MB, sharp caustics??? Bring it ON!!!

<<wlEmoticon-smile[1].png>>

<<330.gif>>