it's so clear to me that I'm using arnold that I sometimes forget to
mention it. sorry about that :/
settings depend very much on how you approach such a render. here is a
short overview on how I did it:
the one with DoF needs more AA samples so the way I do it is to raise the
AA to 10. Then I dial every aspect (lights, diffuse, glossy) of the
sampling separate until I have the same amount of noise in each of them. I
start with one sample and raise it until I'm somehow satisfied. Mostly 2
samples per component is enough and if we have heavy contrast in the glossy
component I raise that to 3. Then raise the AA slowly to the expected noise
level. In this case to 20 to really smooth things out. So here are the
sampling settings:
AA: 20
Diffuse: 2
Glossy: 3
one QuadLight in front of the windows: 2
Sharper Distant Light: 1
Raydepth for all components to 1 but diffuse to 4

the one without DoF doesn't need such high AA samples so we
can rearrange the sample settings to something like this:
AA: 6
Diffuse: 7
Glossy: 6
one QuadLight in front of the windows: 5
Sharper Distant Light: 4
Raydepth for all components to 1 but diffuse to 4

here is another one without glossy rays. this one brings the render down to
27min. it's the same setup as the one with DoF except without any glossy
rays shot: http://xsi.jankin.com/dump/ClassRoom_a.0001_27min.jpg

Cheers
Vladimir

Vladimir Jankijevic