Sam - Raffaele is right. Hopefully someone can give you guidance, ICE is not easy if you don't know the math. I'm still learning and studying and have made a step up :)

Christopher

Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:39 PM
I would argue your biggest stumbling block is more not knowing the math fundamentals involved, and then thinking it's because you don't know what nodes do what, when if you knew those fundamentals you wouldn't be left wondering in first place.
I mean absolutely no offense with this, Sam, just pointing you in the general direction of what you'd be best off studying next IMO.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!
Sunday, April 07, 2013 3:21 PM

Thanks Peter, that works great! The problem I was having was that I was trying to plug in the Ori data into the Matrix to Vector node. This seems to be my biggest stumbling block with ICE. I know what needs to be done, but sometimes I just can’t figure out what nodes need to be plugged in to what to make it work.

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com [mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Peter Agg
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 3:36 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: set raycast direction with a Null?

Just to expand on what Matt said:

If you want a direction with any object in ICE, the easiest way is to get it's global kinematics and pipe that into a 'Matrix 4x4 to Vector 3D' node. The node will spit out 4 vectors - ignore the one labeled 'translation' and pick one of the 3 depending on what axis you want to get the direction of. The order is XYZ as you'd expect.

You can then pipe out your chosen axis into the direction of the raycast node and the translation into the position. You can then use that null as a complete raycast controller.