In principle I'm not fond of the idea of assuming everybody is a pirate and
forcing these always online models on people, so no argument there. They
did have a case for it it turns out, but (again in principle) I would have
rather have opted out of it and risked losing a few sales, it wasn't
possible though.

The player is ok, that I can tell you, they wrap Vimeo's very thinly, and
Vimeo's is a fairly good, html 5 capable player. No way around not being
able to see the video if you're offline though for now (again going by the
assumption they are online only), and that -is- annoying, and has kept me
away from a couple resources too.

It might be possible to rip them with some videograbbing site or
streamcatch software, it's just an mp4 managed h264 stream at the end of
the day, or if you know personally any of my ex-alumni they might have the
original downloadables around, but I wouldn't know, and it'd be that gray
area where you have to decide for yourself whether it's ethical or not.
You wouldn't be offending me for ripping my vids to file if you bought
them, I can tell you that much :p