For this example, all you need is installed with XSI.
The cache loader is required in case you do not have the trail in ICE.

> but I couldn't figure out how to move a particle along a path trailing the
> strand behind it in a controllable manner
The trail does only copy the last position at that frame of the particle in an
array.
Afaik there are no compounds to modify this array, but I am not sure, have not
worked with ICE in a long time.
There are strands and strand trails in ICE. I do not know why they seperated
them.
Strand trails are exported to support the trail settings in the particle shader.

>plus I still don't get the additive render look like with lightpainting
Replicate the real world.
Put the color of the particle shader into ambient of the volume shader.
Increase the ambient slider to 10. Set the diffuse slider to 0.
Shadow density to 0, global density to a something very low as you do not want
to block anything by the "volume".

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

  _____