I'm with you Eugen.  The nice thing I've found with the new Start Screen is
that I've organized things based on how frequently I use them.  So
Softimage, Photoshop, Eyeon Fusion, 3D-Coat, etc., are in a block on the
furthest to the left.  And less frequently used software is further to the
right.  Software I don't use often at all are unpinned from the Start
Screen and are accessible by clicking the "all apps" button or by just
starting to type the name.  It's a great way to visually organize
everything.  I picked up a Logitech touchpad for navigation & it's a nice
way to mimic a touch screen interface.

Originally I tried using Win8 like Win7 and had a lot of desktop icons, but
I've slowly moved away from that & rarely go to the desktop at all anymore.

I have a Samsung 700T Win8 Pro tablet and it has the Wacom digitizer
built-in.  I'm sure it's fantastic for painting if you're in your 20's.
 But I'm in my 40's and my eyes are starting to go, so the screen is just
too small for me to deal with.  But as a tablet, it's awesome.  I haven't
touched my iPad since I got it.  IE 10 on a tablet is fantastic (other than
not being able to run ad blockers).

I think overall Win 8 is a good move for MS.  We're in a period of time now
where there's a generation of people who've had computers their entire
life.  They don't need skeuomorphism to understand how things work, so GUI
designers should be free to explore the possibilities and let things
evolve.  From what I'm hearing, the next iOS is going to be totally flat,
just like Win8 - and I'm sure that'll trickle over to OSX too.

-PG