From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Stefan
Andersson
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:52 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Texture size in games?

Great response everyone! Except for polycounts and fascist UV mapping,
it more or less sounds similar in a lot of ways to what I'm already
doing. I wont go into games trying to become a programmer, I do want to
make art. But as Matt suggested, I'm more likely to go art/tech since
I'm somewhat of a geek also.

Mip mapping is something that I'm familiar with, and my own asset tools
already have it in place that I convert with OIIO all textures to be
mip-mapped and also the power of two (just because I don't trust anyone
I also resize them). But doing mip-mapping for a game engine, does that
requires to export each level? Or what image formats are usually used
for doing mip-mapping? I can't see game engines using exr... or do they?
:)

Before I go on and make Matt's little exercise I think I will build
something rigid and see how that looks. And I have to convert my
workstation from Linux to Windows.

I talked to my brother who is working at Massive, and he thinks I'm an
idiot... but he also said that they base the size of the texture
depending on meters in the engine. I guess it also depends a lot of
which engine you will use.

But it leads me to another question. I'm not 100% sure yet which
modeling software I will be using. My 14+ years with both Maya /
Softimage leaves me somewhat in the middle of those two. Blender is also
a contender, but I'll stick with the programs that I know from inside
and out. However, Softimage doesn't have any metric units. Would the
usual assumtion that 1 SI unit is 10 cm still apply? or again... depends
on the engine/exporter?

all the best!

your humble servant

stefan