I would like to keep my sanity intact, and from the videos that I've seen
from Win8 I think I will not go down that route. I read quickly on the web
and others have had the exact same problem as me with corrupt EFI install
(and also with HP workstations), but no solutions :(

I'll make another attempt this weekend, and I'll make a USB installer
instead of the DVD.

regards
stefan