He should be directed to download all three of these game engines.
Digital-Tutors has training on all three engines, and Eat 3D has training
for Unreal and CryEngine.

Free edition of Unreal Engine 3
http://www.unrealengine.com/udk

Free edition of CryEngine 3
http://mycryengine.com

Free edition of Unity 3D. Unity is primarily used to create mobile and web
games, but can also deploy games to consoles or the PC.
http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

Daniel
VFXM