Houdini is definitely the biggest contender right now... but I definitely
see Blender as a *huge *threat to Autodesk. That software is going places
and if they can just get a few dev's on board that understand pipeline and
workflow a bit better... it will blow up.

I love love love Houdini but it's modeling workflow is poop *imo... *which
unfortunately is a sizable portion of my day to day tasks. Even if it's
just to quickly fix something small. Modo is quite nice too... but I can't
get past the shitty material editor and I mostly do lighting and rendering,
so this is for me hard to deal with.

-Gene
www.genecrucean.com