From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Luc-Eric
Rousseau
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 6:31 AM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Maya Xgen

the principle of XGen is that you setup the scene description in maya
- expressions, ptex property maps, etc - and then the
instancing/interpolation/etc engine will run uring rendering, in the xgen
geometry shader.  So it has the upper hand with very large data sets because
the data is not calculated unless needed, and will never be created on the
DCC side.  It's about having a system that can scale to milions of
hair/instances, and there are some definite tradeoff to that - xgen's engine
is simpler than ICE.