I've spent so much time trying to come up with a modular rigging system that comes close to the haptics of CAT and Character Studio in terms of limb creation and direct joint manipulation, but this is the only thing that comes close to it, and even surpasses it in terms of flexibility by miles.
I can't wait to start playing with this!

One question: What if I needed to snap such a Splice manipulator to another object in the scene? I suppose I'd need to implement my own snapping function?

Well - that's a good question really. You can script splice using python and jscript inside soft,
using mel + python inside maya. So I'd say you'd use python (common nominator) inside the
DCCs, with slight adaptations concerning the command for each one. Then you'd build your
picking, synaptics, workflow using python and Qt or whatnot. You may then compose operators
using KL and Splice to reflect your manipulation and rig runtime.

Done.

Seriously it's not far away and it's something I have hoped that people would extrapolate to.

:-)