From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Raffaele Fragapane
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:01 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Article on Bifrost

There are, but precious few and mostly a jumble of many loosely couple
functionalities tossed into "versatile" nodes. The ports are also explicitly
typed (what limited dynamicism there is is flakey on the best of day), and it
is NOT an evaluation engine, so forget about reading and setting arbitrary data.
It's bad enough to not even have some basic comparison, sign, or trigonometric
funcionalities, although you can sort of cook them from a few basic nodes (I
have a wrapper of cmath with those in the form of nodes on my website if you're
ever so inclined, but don't expect it to be visual programming, it's not).

All that said this is probably getitng confusing for those not familiar with it.
Luc-Eric, in mentioning ICE, surely meant the look and handling of it.
Functionality wise all they have in common is the nodal interface and the ports
being circles.
The Maya Node editor is half way between what you wish the schematic was and
what you hope the rendertree will never regress to (with the notable exception
of cross-scene stuff, which is in general Soft's Achille's heel).
It is not, nor it tries to be, the equal of ICE, it doesn't do the same things
at all to begin with. Bifrost seems to be the horse they have all their money
on for that in the future.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM, Ponthieux, Joseph G. (LARC-E1A)[LITES]