From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Raffaele Fragapane
Sent: 12 September 2013 01:08
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Article on Bifrost

Actually I'll have to, respectfully, disagree with that.
Shape and transform node handling is fine as is (given the premise you're OK
with how Maya handles it).
Given it's possible and rational for a shape to have N parent transforms, and
for a transform to have N shapes, exclusive ui binding would make it awfully
confusing.

You also, most of the time don't care about their coupling enough, or you care
so much about it it's painfully obvious, that you need to see them connected in
my experience.
It's also the fine distinction between DAG representation, which HG does better
(or the outliner, which is getting better but is still a long shot from SI's
superb explorer), and the DG you care about in the NE.
The NE currently replaces the HS more so than the HG. When the NE will receive
a second mode (ala HG DAG vs DG modes) then I will agree with you, and the HG
should be retired as well.
In its current incarnation I think things are "fine" in those regards, or at
least clear enough if you know how Maya works.

That they DO get messy, well, that I don't disagree with. Maya is still one of
the absolute easiest apps to make a complete and absolute multidirectional
clusterf*** of the scene in.

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Nick Angus