I am using a Windows 7 64 bit Intel core i7 950
with 12 GB RAM
no SSD and a Quatro FX 3800

I have heat issues, when rendering, and I'm liquid cooled.
I have had a lot of luck using Redshift (in Alpha) to render.
It uses the Quadro FX 3800 to render instead of the CPU

here is a render test of Redshift for Softimage done with the geforce 640
gtm:
http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3640

pretty impressive!

I would say your setup would work with Softimage and RedShift.
You may get the heat issues, that I do, with mentalray rendering.

I do have a second networked PC for rendering while I'm designing,
modeling, etc.
I found this essential for keeping up with the rendering. With RedShift,
however,
I don't use it as much since RedShift is so fast.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Johan Forsgren <johan.forsg...@edithouse.se

--

Best Regards,
*  Stephen P. Davidson**

*Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic*

 - Arthur C. Clarke

<http://www.3danimationmagic.com>