Freelancing isn't not just about the hardware for a single workstation. If
your bank acount is lacking zeroes, it's probably not the best idea to start
freelancing  (in terms of represents an independent company by yourself).
It's okay to do just,... well, *freelance work at companies*, but thats not
very different from permanent position in terms of hardware you own
personally. You really don't need to bring your own workstation since the
company will provide it anyway.

When it comes to act as an independent contractor/company and you're going
to do it in a proffesionall way,  you will need a fileserver, backupserver,
renderfarm, rendermanagement software, tape-backups/archiving sort of thing,
ftp-accounts for costumers etc. Not to mention the software itself. I don't
know how this apply in the US but I think its not that different from any
other country.

In germany, there are two kind of freelancers: Most of them are working in
companies like a regular staff members, but jumping between companies and
they're not very different from regular staff (except from the fact that
there are freelancers). There are a handful of freelancers that managed to
work absolutly independent and acting as companies. But thats very hard and
they're only a few of them. I think it's different from the US, just because
in the US you can buy a house/building for cheap, have the basement occupied
with a decent renderfarm and all tech and make the first floor entierly for
business. Have costumers visit your company, not realising that it's also a
private residence? Maybe not.

If you are going to do jobs by yourself and to not work for other 3D or VFX
companies you either have to compete with them or concentrate on another
market or niche (like low budget CAD-viz or whatever). It's very hard to
establish yourself even you have all the

tech and the skills (this includes not only your "3D skills" but also
project managing, accounting and acquiring costumers.

I might have lost the point here, I apologize..:)

sven