I guess from a marketing point of view it makes sense for those who wrote those lines. When you look at the descriptions for Max and Maya
you will agree that they sound very similar. If I were a sales person having to put such information together I'd try to distract customers away from the fact that they are about to pay money for what is essentially a package of three very similar programs (in terms of what you can do with it), hence the attempt to diversify them, even at the expense of information about what each package can actually do and is good at.

Well finally, but this is the poor description of Softimage even with bad redaction, once you see what the creative suite includes:

Softimage:
Create effects with ICE and the Autodesk® Face Robot® facial animation toolset.

Maya:
Create 3D animation with production-proven tools for modeling, animation, visual effects, and rendering.

3ds MAX:
Unleash your creativity with the production-proven package for 3D modeling, animation, effects, and rendering.

So Softimage is described as only for creating ICE effects.  And the way it is written, Face Robot is a facial animation toolset for also creating effects???

Welll now I see why Softimage is being relegated to just a few devs without promotion.  AD has not understanded what kind of software Softimage is...   They believe that ICE is only for doing special effects along with Face Robot....

And additionally, Softimage does not render...