Ah, that makes sense. And unfortunately for me, throws this solution out the window. Time to look at something else. Thanks David!

On 29/10/2013 3:38 PM, David Barosin wrote:
My guess is that when you extract polygons it makes a new object with the center at world 0,0,0.   The extracted polygons are not really deforming with the source geo but rather getting extracted at each frame in the new pose.  So the cage deformer is seeing this as a new bind pose rather than a deformation.