the term user experience sounds like some marketing thing, but it's
important. When we worked on xgen, we had technical users who had however
never used xgen coming in a lab, and we studied  them trying to complete a
list of preset tasks.  then we took the data and changed the xgen user
interface to remove many of the road blocks that people run into.  that
doesn't mean you don't have anything to learn to use it, it's still a
technical tool (writing expressions, for example) , but it makes more
sense,  generally, than where we had started from.