I've never used Yeti but I've heard good things about it, making it the topmost solution on my list of things to check out in the future. I'd also go for that if you are familiar with Maya and don't live in the US (copy/paste from their website: "Please note: Due to circumstances outside of our control, we are unable to sell Yeti to customers located in the US"). But I won't start another Joe Alter bashing thread here...

Especially the dynamics is where Maya seems the provide the longest list of options (nHair, Yeti,...), and that's really crucial for longer hair.

Some thoughts on rendering: Most renderers handle hair quite well, unless it needs to be transparent, which it almost always needs to be (usually a gradient with increasing transparency from root to tip) to make the hair look softer. Without it it just looks really brushy and thick. Ok for short, thick hair like on a tigers nose and beard stubbles, but not the fluffy stuff on hamsters or human heads even. Making the hair very thin towards the end is an alternative, but usually requires to bump up the AA samples, with the usual render time hit that goes hand in hand with. From all renderers I tried (Arnold, Vray, 3Delight, mentalray), 3Delight was the only one that deilvered decent performance, especially in combination with motion blur, and has, imho, the single most beautiful hair shading I've seen, including handling GI very well. All others grind to a halt in such cases in comparison, with Vray being extremely slow in both rendering and export of hair strands , Arnold having the shortest TTFP (time to first pixel) with very fast export, and 3Delight being in the middle between the two in terms of export times and TTFP, but fastest in rendering overall (by leaps and bounds). It does require a bit more fiddling with lights (deep shadow maps) to get that slight translucent effect on back- and rimlights. See this thread: http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1275&start=20

I was longing for redshift too, but it became clear shortly before I went into the project that it would not be ready in time for hair rendering. A version supporting strands was just released yesterday, but there is no hair shader yet afaik.

Good luck, and thanks for the links, some where news to me.

    Stefan

Thanks for this in-depth answer!

Personally, I´m starting to lean towards going for the trial of Yeti,
one reason being that I think I remember Colin Doncaster´s name from
another maya maling list and another because of the really nice
sample image of a bear posted by Yolandi Meiring in a similar thread here:

(Thread) https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/xsi_list/2erKqUcghpI

(Image)https://groups.google.com/group/xsi_list/attach/994086131ca9460/bear_still.jpg?part=4&view=1

Another really nice one is a proof of concept of bringing (3dsMax) hair-farm into Softimage
from Lee-Perry Smith, with props to Dani Garcia and Steven Caron.
That human hairdo and it´s renderings look incredibly awesome.

http://ir-ltd.net/hair-farm-hair-into-softimage/

For a Melena/Kristinka workflow using Anto Matkovic´s tools in those beautiful shed projects
there´s a nice clip posted by/on Lester Banks

http://lesterbanks.com/2013/05/workflow-tips-for-creating-and-grooming-hair-in-softimage/

--

I have only limited amounts of time I can spend on this and need to find something that has potential to be useable for testing Redshift´s hair shading approach when applicable but ideally integrates seamlessly into either Maya/Max/Softimage.

The combination of Maya+Redshift is allready working very well and it seems it´ll be easier to successfully migrate from simple hair/fur testing to something actually looking good (using yeti). Also, yeti has a variety of licensing options I might find atractive at a later date if tempted to actually finish something beyond spare-time doodling.

I´d prefer Softimage but if that stuff works better in Maya, it´ll be Maya.

I suck with Max, even the fastest and most intuitive plugin can´t compensate that sad fact.

Cheers,

tim