I don't feel qualified to dictate the software needs of everything and
everyone in the industry, i might expand a bit on what i'd like to see from
such a system.

For a hair system ?

*) First off, it should be able to stand on it's own without ICE.

*) it should probably work on its own engine (like yeti, i assume).

*) If it has its own engine, it should be open so as to offer TD's and
Dev's the freedom and space they need to solve problems and expand tools or
implement new tools. (this point is more a given, TD's and Dev's should
always be facilitated in this regard).

*) It Should have its own unit, like a strand, guide or null, that exists
for this purpose.

*)It should be tablet compatible, as in stylus, pen pressure, all that jazz.

*) It should be ICE compliant ; stand on it's own yes, but that should not
subject isolated from ICE, it's too good a tool to be ignored. Ideally, a
relationship where ICE is less of a crutch and more of a third arm. e.g The
proprietary Guides/strands/units can be brought into ICE as data, so if you
where making a wood nymph, and you wanted to make flowers bloom from the
tips of her hair: all this managed through ICE. Listening to Paul Smith, in
his demo of FUZZ, he says that strand collisions are very slow. So
regarding hair, ICE would be more an aesthetics effects base tool then a
physics engine, the actual simulation being taken care of by the hair
systems dedicated engine. so yes as much compliance between the two systems
as possible.

*) UI integration. where would it live ? i'd love to see the sparsely
inhabited paint tools panel, be sectioned into 3 tabs, similar to the right
side, MCP/KP-L/PPG.

Tab 1: the original xsi paint tools, weight painting etc...

Tab 2:... maybe some sculpting tool implementations :P ? (for another time
!).

Tab 3: The new hair system panel, including as preliminary features:

1) A stylus pressure segment with curve profile.

2) A layer system like the "scene" one in the KP/L so you can have separate
hair systems on different hide-able reference-able layers, with the
addition of a slider enabling you to increase or decrees the number of
hairs shown in the viewport per layer. (this would allow you to rapidly
test incremental density simulations, on the fly without having to dive
into an ice tree or bring up a ppg ).

3) I'm a big fan of the M tool in SI, i love the 3 small grey icons that
appear at the bottom of the view port, (manipulate, magnet and weld) i just
wish it was customisable with even more tools !

In this spirit i would like to have a small library of icons on the hair
system panel, icons for guide painting, and manipulation: paint/erase
grow/cut, brush/frizz,orient ...etc. i would like it to be possible to
click and drag these icons into a small tray on the viewport like the M
tool small grey icons. so you can have your own customizable loadout.

4) Convert To: a series of utilities that allow you to convert elements,
primitives or meshes, into hair guides; so you can choose to draw a curve
and then click "convert to"  guides or strands, upon which you get prompted
to choose an existing layer to add to, or to create a layer for this new
hair element. if you choose a mesh like a rectangle, it would give you the
options on how you would like the hairs to populate the inside of the mesh,
by length? what density? etc...

note: if you convert to a guide, them the elements will become guides, if
you choose convert to strand then the elements will become hair in witch
ever layer you put them, influenced by the closest guide on that layer.

And that's it, these are some of the things i would like to see in a
"heavier" hair system.

I toyed with the notion of a node graph like yeti's but from what i could
see of it so far, it is very linear, nowhere near as fun as ICE, so a cool
idea, for visualisation but i'd have to see a little more matured version
to be sold.

i doubt anyone will ever implement any of this, this is just a lot of pipe
dreaming, but that is my answer.