re: collision avoidance -- how big are the asteroids WRT the toroidal
volume?  the requirement for varying "linear" (meaning orbital I guess?)
speeds needs to be balanced against the volume of space that each sweeps
through.

the position jitter I guess I would try to do via clever parenting and use
of the randomize data entry command for transform values.