It's a system that seems to favour massive company's that can afford to
routinely upgrade their packages, and screws the individual user for any
sort of brand fidelity they may attempt to maintain; if you know you are
going to get a discount (where it even 10%) on your next upgrade as a token
to your brand loyalty, you would feel incentivised to perches upgrades, its
marketing 101 no different then a loyalty card at your supermarket.

The only reason for doing this is to intentionally loose a demographic. In
the short term maybe this will allow AD to save money, freelancers are
"infrequent in their purchases". They actually require a stable and
competent package out of the box, something big companies usually pays
their own Devs and TDs to sort out. Unlike big companies they also have the
gall to voice their contempt of an inferior service.

So yea this kinda makes sense for them in the short term to stabilise their
key demographic, to the detriment of others probably makes the share
holders smile as well. of course this also kills any form of growth within
the potential market, but only time will tell what kind of impact that
could have.