Ah I see! Should have thought of that instead... :X Works great! I'll get around to scripting this into a button...

Thank you all for replying to this simple question!

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang

On 2/28/2014 9:36 AM, Manny Papamanos wrote:
Just equals expression a null to follow all 3 pos axis of the hip.
Now replace the posy expression and just put "5" (let say)  in the expression
editor for the nulls posy.

Constrain the cam/effector  to that null.

Now you can use CnsComp.

-manny
AD Si and Mobu support

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Siew Yi Liang
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2014 12:21 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Constrain in only one axis instead of all 3?

Hmm maybe let me describe my problem a bit more...

I have a character that I'm planning to make run/jump forward etc. I would like
to make an animation camera that follows his movement as he moves forward in
space but without manually keying it (for now). So what I usually do elsewhere
is just constrain the camera to his COG and then disable the constraint for
axes that I don't need (otherwise vertical and horizontal movement combined in
a camera is really vomit-inducing :P)

Right now my solution is:
null constrained to hip control (where this control's translates do not change
as the animation progress)
direct expression camera root axis = null axis

But this doesn't let me keep the initial offset that the camera had (turning on
ChildComp doesn't help unfortunately)...for now this is a simple workaround but
I'm worried about in future what if I have to tackle a similar issue but with
this exact same problem? Which is why I was wondering if anyone uses a simpler
solution or if I have missed something about XSI constraints that allow for
this...

Yours sincerely,

Siew Yi Liang