"Just to get the thread on track a bit (sort of) - would people share what
it is they like/dislike about ICE (or any other visual programming system)?"

Big thumbs up

Clean interface
Low level access to basic maths functions (see also Houdini equivalent
whose name always eludes me)
Clear visualisation of different data types
Definable position in the evaluation stack
Polymorphic ports
Locations

What could be improved:

The ICE modelling was probably *too* low level to be generally useful
Can't easily control when to read data from other objects
Kinematics was still a mess
Some types of data were impossible to make shareable/procedural (e.g
object references, object names and fcurves)