whoah Eric what about animal logic..? they are not a serious studio?  I
thought they used softimage for rigging and animation or is that not the
case anymore? that is your experience yes and thanks for the contribution
but its still difficult to accept especially here on the softimage forum
where I know so many expert Softimage riggers that won't be offended by
what you just said because they are all really nice guys :)

And dearest Nika, unfortunately, ICE can also be used for rigging and  in
general building rigs is an important chunk of most TD's roles but I get
what you are asking. if no ICE where next to do ICE kind of stuff?

for me, nowhere at the moment. hardly scratched the surface of houdini and
it does not have the same pleasures visually and mentally because, like
Jordi mentioned about houdini recently,  it is too deep and difficult to
grasp where all the data flows at first. Once I spend much more time with
it then hope it will come more natural and easier to figure out.  the thing
is Nika, it is exposure time. and it seems I will need more than what I've
already invested in ICE just to get to the same level where I am already
and feel very sad to let it go anytime soon. but please yes. keep the
thread alive, suggest some alternatives to go next because now ours hands
are forced and the clock is ticking .

from seeing the FE 2.0 videos and what Mathieu wrote (really good stuff!)
it does seem like it is going towards visual programming environment
eventually.