Damn it I can't get any work done now, and I've got a lot to do...
-Tim

On 3/4/2014 11:01 AM, Maurice Patel wrote:
Over the past week there have been many rumors about the future of Softimage
posted on various forums and social media sites. Many of you have been looking
for an official confirmation or denial from Autodesk. Unfortunately, we were
not in a position to respond until today as we needed to finalize all the
details of our plans. But yes Softimage 2015 will be the last release of the
software. I wanted to share some of those details with you:

-  Softimage 2015 will be the last release of the software

-  We will continue to support the software and develop hot fixes and service
packs for two more years

-  If they wish to, customers on Subscription will be able to transition to
Maya or 3ds Max at no cost while retaining the right to continue to use
Softimage in production/

-  Existing customers will be able to purchase additional seats and/or rental
plans if they need to scale production

Below is a copy of the letter that was sent electronically to Softimage
customers today. I have copied it here as our email distribution lists not
allow us to send it to those who have opted out.

Because several of our partners have started posting the news early, we are
responding now but please note our web sites have not had time to upload all
the information yet.

As early as possible but by no later than 3pm EST, we will have loaded all the
information including a detailed FAQ on
www.autodesk.com/softimage<http://www.autodesk.com/softimage>. In the interim I
have also copied and pasted it below

Within the next 15 minutes you can also visit
http://area.autodesk.com/softimagetransition  to register for a live Q&A
webinar on Marc 18th at 12pm EST. as well as see the full documentation of what is
new in Softimage 2015.

Maurice Patel

Autodesk

Autodesk Softimage 2015 Last Release Announcement

To discuss your transition options Contact a
Reseller<https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/etrack.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&FORMID=bbdca7c18a1535b1ffbc24725fe642a3&INTID=08f974dac32ba2380b1348731c570ede&AUDID=dc482f8407033a7eeebee55a40d54b838da4a93ff9131343&DECODE=1&URL=https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/delivery/linktracking/lmark.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&LID=a1ede08e74ba134ecee55317ea02deb4>

March 4, 2014

Dear Softimage Customer,

We are committed to providing our customers with the most technologically
advanced products and highest quality customer service possible. After careful
consideration, it has become necessary to make some changes to our software
portfolio in order to continue to do so.

We therefore regret to inform you that the upcoming 2015 release will be the
last one for Autodesk(r) Softimage(r), which is expected to ship on April 14,
2014. Autodesk will continue to offer product support until Apr 30, 2016. We
will also provide any necessary hot-fixes and service packs to all customers,
at no cost, until Apr 30, 2016.

We understand that you will now need time to re-evaluate your production
capabilities. To help you, we are offering Autodesk(r) Subscription customers
special no cost options to migrate to either Autodesk(r) Maya(r) or Autodesk(r)
3ds Max(r) while continuing to use Softimage in production. These options will
be available until Feb 1, 2016. Upgrade paths are also available for customers
who are not on Subscription.

As of March 28, 2014, Softimage will no longer be available for sale to new
customers. However, we will provide existing customers with the option to
purchase either additional software licenses or new rental plans until Feb 1,
2016. Our goal is to give you the flexibility you need to continue to use, and
scale, Softimage in production during the transition to either Maya or 3ds Max.

The Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite (ECS) Premium will no longer be
available for sale as of March 28, 2014. ECS Premium customers on Subscription
will receive Autodesk ECS Ultimate, at no additional cost. We will also be
reducing the price of ECS Ultimate software and Subscription. Softimage 2015
will remain part of ECS Ultimate for a transition period of two-years, after
which it will be removed.

Although this decision is a difficult one, we do believe that by focusing our
efforts we can better serve the needs of the media and entertainment industry
and provide customers with better products, faster. Autodesk wants to continue
its relationship with you into the future. We regret any inconvenience that
this may cause, however we believe you will find our new transition product
offerings very attractive.

We understand that you may still have questions about this transition and invite you to join us on Monday,
March 17, 2014 at 12PM EST for a live Q&A webinar. Please register and submit your questions
here<https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/etrack.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&FORMID=bbdca7c18a1535b1ffbc24725fe642a3&INTID=08f974dac32ba2380b1348731c570ede&AUDID=dc482f8407033a7eeebee55a40d54b838da4a93ff9131343&DECODE=1&URL=http://area.autodesk.com/softimagetransition>.

For more details please refer to the Questions and Answers section below.

Sincerely,

Marc Stevens
Vice President Film & TV Solutions
Autodesk

Diana Colella
Sr. Director M&E Industry Strategy & Marketing
Autodesk

Questions & Answers

*

Autodesk(r) Softimage(r) 2015 will be the last release of the software

*

Autodesk Softimage 2015 is expected to ship on April 14, 2014.

*

Autodesk will provide Softimage customers on Autodesk(r) Subscription with
support services until April 30, 2016.

*

Autodesk will provide all Softimage customers with any Hot Fixes or Service
Packs issued until April 30, 2016.

*

Autodesk will provide Softimage Subscription customers with the option to
migrate to a transition offering that includes either Autodesk(r) 3ds Max or
Autodesk(r) Maya(r) software at no additional cost.

*

Customers that migrate to a transition offering will still be able to continue
to use their Softimage license for the length of the transition period.

*

Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite (ECS) Premium will be discontinued and
customers will receive Autodesk ECS Ultimate, free of charge.

1.

What is happening to Softimage?
Autodesk Softimage 2015 will be the last version release of the software. As of
March 28, 2014, customers will no longer be able to purchase new standalone
licenses. For Softimage customers who are currently on Autodesk Subscription,
there will be options to migrate to transition offerings that include either
Autodesk Maya or Autodesk 3ds Max for no additional cost. (see question 5 for
details).

2.

How long will Autodesk provide support services for Softimage?
Autodesk plans to provide support and maintenance services to Softimage
customers with active Autodesk Subscription contracts until April 30, 2016 or
until the end of their contract in cases where an existing contract has a later
expiry date. Customers renewing Subscription contracts will be able to continue
to do so until April 30, 2016. Where necessary, contracts after March 28, 2014
will be prorated to end on April 30, 2016.

3.

What about Service Packs?
Ongoing maintenance development (Hot Fixes and Service Packs) will continue for
all customers (Subscription and non-Subscription) for a two-year support period
(until April 30, 2016). All customers will be entitled to any Hot Fixes or
Service Packs released for their version of software. However, an Autodesk
Subscription contract will be required to access any additional customer
support services.

4.

Why is Autodesk discontinuing new releases of Softimage?
This decision is necessary for Autodesk to keep pace with the industry's rapid
rate of change and to better serve our customers during this highly turbulent
transitional period for both visual effects and games. We need to innovate
faster while balancing our investment in the development of features and
functionality needed to support new and existing customer workflows. We did not
make this decision lightly. Many factors were taken into consideration during
the decision making process, including the impact on the Softimage user base.
Although the decision is a difficult one, we do believe that by doing this we
can better serve the needs of the industry as a whole and provide customers
with better product choices.

5.

I am on Subscription. Is there a migration path for me?
Yes, if you have an active Softimage Subscription contract you will be able to
migrate to the latest release of either Maya or 3ds Max, at no additional cost.
In order for you to continue to use Softimage while you transition we have
created two special offerings which will be available to you for a limited time
only (the transition period*):
*

Maya with Softimage: includes Autodesk Maya 2015 and Autodesk Softimage 2015

*

3ds Max with Softimage: includes Autodesk 3ds Max 2015 and Autodesk Softimage
2015

This way, you can still use your license of Softimage for production work while
learning either Maya or 3ds Max.

*The transition period is expected to last until February 1, 2016,
approximately 2 years. (Autodesk reserves the right to change this date at any
point in time and without notice)

Please note that the right to use the Softimage license will terminate at the
end of the transition period if you are still on Subscription. You will be
transitioned to the latest release of either 3ds Max or Maya depending on your
initial choice. If you want to continue to use your Softimage license after Feb
1, 2016 you should not renew your Subscription contract for a period beyond
that date. You will be able to continue to use Softimage but will forfeit any
future updates to either 3ds Max or Maya.

6.

Do I have to migrate?
There is no requirement to migrate. Softimage customers who are on Softimage
2015 or earlier versions (with or without Subscription) can choose to remain on
their last version of Softimage. However, if you are on Subscription, you can
transition to either Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage and keep
using Softimage 2015 and earlier versions while learning either Maya or 3ds Max
respectively.

7.

Can I purchase new seats of Softimage?
As of March 28, 2014 only existing Softimage customers will be able to purchase
new or additional seats of Softimage by purchasing either the Maya with
Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage transition offerings. These transition
offerings will be available for purchase at the cost of $3,675 US SRP* for the
duration of the transition period (approximately two years (see question 5)).
These transition offerings will also be available as rental plans for purchase
at the cost of $575 US SRP quarterly, or $1,840 US SRP annually. After the two
year transition period customers will no longer be able to purchase or rent new
Softimage licenses from Autodesk.

8.

Can customers who did not previously own Softimage purchase these bundles?
No. The Maya with Softimage and 3ds Max with Softimage licenses are not
available to customers who do not currently own Softimage licenses.

9.

I did not renew my Subscription. Can I transition to Maya or 3ds Max?
If you have purchased a new license or upgraded your Softimage within the last
365 days you can late-attach Subscription by paying the Late Renewal fee. Once
you are current and on Subscription you will have access to the transition
offerings previously described in question 5.

10.

I am on an older version and wish to transition to Maya or 3ds Max. Can I?
To be eligible to transition to either 3ds Max with Softimage or Maya with
Softimage you will need to upgrade your software to the latest version of
Softimage using standard Autodesk upgrade paths. Versions older than 6 versions
back are typically not eligible for upgrades and other limitations may apply.
Once you have upgraded to the latest version, you must also purchase a
Subscription contract to gain access to the transition offerings described in
question 5.

Please note that after February 1, 2015, Autodesk will no longer offer software
upgrades for purchase for all of its software products.

11.

I recently purchased Softimage software/Subscription. Can I get a full refund?
Standard Autodesk refund policies apply. Contact your reseller or, if purchased on-line, refer to the following
guidelines: Return and
Cancellations<https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/etrack.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&FORMID=bbdca7c18a1535b1ffbc24725fe642a3&INTID=08f974dac32ba2380b1348731c570ede&AUDID=dc482f8407033a7eeebee55a40d54b838da4a93ff9131343&DECODE=1&URL=http://store.autodesk.com/store?Action=DisplayReturnAndCancellationsPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=adskus>

12.

Who can I talk to if I have questions about this program?
If you have questions about this program please contact your Autodesk Reseller
or local Autodesk Representative.

13.

What changes are you making to the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suites?
As of March 28, 2014, Autodesk will make the following changes to its FY15
Entertainment Creation Suites (ECS) portfolio:
*

Autodesk Maya ECS Standard - NO CHANGE

*

Autodesk 3ds Max ECS Standard - NO CHANGE

*

Autodesk Softimage ECS Standard (available in Japan-only) - 2015 will be the
last version release.

*

Autodesk 3ds Max ECS Premium - will be replaced by Autodesk ECS Ultimate.

*

Autodesk Maya ECS Premium - will be replaced by Autodesk ECS Ultimate.

*

Autodesk ECS Ultimate will be reduced in price.

14.

What is happening to Entertainment Creation Suite Premium customers?
Autodesk Maya Entertainment Creation Suite Premium 2014 and Autodesk 3ds Max
Entertainment Creation Suite Premium 2014 will be the last releases of the
Premium suites. All Premium suite customers on Subscription will be
automatically fulfilled with Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate
2015. If you are not on Subscription you may be able to upgrade.

15.

Will customers have to pay more when they are automatically fulfilled with the
Ultimate Suite?
We will be re-pricing the Ultimate Suite (for both new licenses and for
Subscription) to be at similar prices to the previous Premium Suite. See the
question below for details on new Ultimate Suite pricing.

16.

What is happening with the Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate offering?
Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate will remain with the same
product composition for two years: Softimage 2015 and whatever the latest
versions of 3ds Max, Maya, MotionBuilder and Mudbox may be during that time
period. The Ultimate Suite will also be re-priced to match the previous price
of the Premium Suite at $6,825 US SRP*. Ultimate Suite Subscription prices will
also be reduced to be close to the price of the previous Premium Suite
Subscription with Advanced Support offering at $1,090 US SRP* (a $75
difference). After two years, Softimage will be removed from the suite.

17.

What is happening with the Softimage Entertainment Creation Suite (Japan only)
offering?
Autodesk Softimage Entertainment Creation Suite customers on Subscription will
be offered a free transition to either the Autodesk 3ds Max Entertainment
Creation Suite Standard or the Autodesk Maya Entertainment Creation Suite
Standard. Support will provided for two years. There will be no new sales of
Autodesk Softimage Entertainment Creation Suite after March 28, 2014.

To discuss your transition options Contact a
Reseller<https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/etrack.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&FORMID=bbdca7c18a1535b1ffbc24725fe642a3&INTID=08f974dac32ba2380b1348731c570ede&AUDID=dc482f8407033a7eeebee55a40d54b838da4a93ff9131343&DECODE=1&URL=https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/delivery/linktracking/lmark.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&LID=a1ede08e74ba134ecee55317ea02deb4>

(c) 2014 Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.  |  Legal Notices &
Trademarks<https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/etrack.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&FORMID=bbdca7c18a1535b1ffbc24725fe642a3&INTID=08f974dac32ba2380b1348731c570ede&AUDID=dc482f8407033a7eeebee55a40d54b838da4a93ff9131343&DECODE=1&URL=http://usa.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks>
  |  Privacy
Policy<https://leads.autodesk.com/aprimoportal/etrack.aspx?DSN=7f98cd601ea567f8649a5d74b1958a30&FORMID=bbdca7c18a1535b1ffbc24725fe642a3&INTID=08f974dac32ba2380b1348731c570ede&AUDID=dc482f8407033a7eeebee55a40d54b838da4a93ff9131343&DECODE=1&URL=http://usa.autodesk.com/privacy/>

* The Suggested Retail Price (SRP) shown is Autodesk's suggested retail price
for the specified product and services in the United States. The SRP does not
include any allowance or provision for installation or taxes. The SRP is
displayed for reference purposes only, as the actual retail price is determined
by your reseller. Other terms and conditions may apply. Autodesk reserves the
right to alter the SRP, product offerings, and specification of its products
and services at any time without notice, and is not responsible for
typographical, graphical, or other errors that may appear on this site.

Autodesk, Inc. * 111 McInnis Parkway * San Rafael, CA 94903

If you do not want to receive commercial emails from Autodesk, please click
here<http://www.autodesk.com/optout>

Please do not reply to this email. Replies to this email will not be responded
to or read.

Autodesk, the Autodesk logo, Maya, MotionBuilder, Mudbox, Softimage and 3ds Max
are registered trademarks or trademarks of Autodesk, Inc., and/or its
subsidiaries and/or affiliates in the USA and/or other countries. All other
brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective holders.
Autodesk reserves the right to alter product and services offerings, and
specifications and pricing at any time without notice, and is not responsible
for typographical or graphical errors that may appear in this document.

--
Signature