I have been reading all the posts and thinking about what everyone said. In
the next few month freelancers and companies will have to decide which way
to go:

1 - Stick with softimage for the next 2 years or so  -  Mainly hoping
something new come across, or maybe  Houdini, Modo, Fabric become a safe
option (some of you think Houdini already is -  but depends the type of
projects you do)
2-  Switch to Houdini
3 - Switch to Maya -  this may be the safer bet. Maya has some good stuff
but overall Softimage it's a much better 3D Applcation so it hurts!

- If I was a small Soft house with not a huge pipeline I would stick with
Softimage for at least 2 years. Who knows? you may be able to avoid
switching to Maya after all and instead go for a more XXI century DCC.
There would be a lot of freelancers out of there who would want to work for
you :)

- As a freelancer I think I will eventually go for Maya if the  market
dictates so. Try to enjoy what's good in Maya and buy lots of Paracetamol
for the headaches :). Bu if there is enough nice softimage work I would
stick with it for the next couple of years hoping for the new "Softimage"
to make it! Houdini is tempting as well, but I am unsure at the moment.

It's interested to read what everyone is saying as we all have to make a
decission!