My new thread doesn't appear to have made it to the list. There's a copy of
it here:
http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4950&start=0

I honestly don't have much to add to what Andy wrote - he nailed it. The
last two points in my post are:

"We can't do it alone - if you want to see change happen, you have to get
involved. Small companies like Fabric need your support, we need you to
kick things around and tell us what you think. We need to know what you
need. It's immensely frustrating to be told "this is cool, if only it did
X" and then we do X and the response is "now if it did Y then I'd take a
look". Get involved - it's free!

Let's get creative - we are open to creating a consortium and finding ways
to open-source work done there. Obviously there are hooks into Fabric and
the concern will be around vendor dependency - however, a lot of that can
be addressed in the design of a particular project. We have done deals that
give source code access to customers after a certain number of years, and
we will work with studios to give that kind of security. We see this as
something where we would not be controlling anything, but working on a
partnership basis with the studios that want to do this. It has to be
driven by studios that want to see some control over their destiny, with
companies like Fabric getting involved to support and drive innovation. We
are a platform, so for us this is the way to success - providing
high-performance, dependable components that can be used to build
production-specific tools. If you are interested in becoming a part of this
Fabric working group then please email me (p...@fabric-engine.com) - right
now I'm just gauging interest with the hope that we can do something
amazing together."

We started Fabric because we thought there was a better way to do things. I
won't lie - we took a few wrong turns with things like web technology.
However, the core engine has been consistently developed throughout, by key
members of the Softimage team. What we have now is an extremely powerful
platform that is hitting maturity - Fabric 2.0 is coming soon and it's got
a lot of people excited. For it to become everything it should be, it needs
support. I see it as a two-way street though - if we want studios to commit
to building on our platform, we have to be open to providing assurances
(contractual!). That's all I want to add - we're there and we are excited
to do something that breaks the studio/vendor mould.