Stefan, re-reading my post, I'm not sure I was totally clear about
modeling.  I'm not sure if this puts us back in agreement or not, but to
clarify, what I meant was just that most pipelines have a reasonable degree
of choice in which package they use for modeling.  I don't spend much time
modeling personally so I'm not qualified to comment on the capabilities of
the different packages.  From what I do know I fully agree that losing XSI
is a hit in this area.  For me, it's a hit in every area, just due to how I
can make use of ICE pretty much across the board.  Not to mention the rest
of the tools and the operator stack.  I think part of why I glossed over
modeling is that I think users who want to will be able to stick with XSI
for modelling a little longer in that area than in, say, lighting, where
things have to be more consistent across the studio.

I would also say, I think my comments don't really at all capture the needs
of game studios.  We're all more alike than we are different, and I
consider us one user community, but as far as my personal experience, I'm
definitely coming at this from a primarily commercials/features point of
view.  Not sure if your a games guy or not, but I'm just realizing that's a
broad category of people who are likely not as antsy as me about getting a
new scene assembly tool :)

Now I'm truly going on a tangent, but I would also imagine that a scene
assembly tool that exports to Arnold would also serve as a good framework
for collecting, prepping, optimizing, and exporting game assets :)  You're
basically exporting things to a "renderer" after all.